MK Party Sifiso Mahlangu called for accountability, especially in the DA.
MK Party Andile Mngxitama opens criminal case against DA MP Mark Burke, escalating political pressure on Democratic Alliance (DA) MP Mark Burke amid an ongoing South African Reserve Bank investigation into fintech company Kastelo.
The criminal case was opened by MK Party Member of Parliament Andile Mngxitama at Cape Town Central police station on Friday, according to reports. The move follows growing political controversy surrounding Kastelo, a fintech company founded by Burke, and allegations concerning possible contraventions of South Africa’s exchange-control regulations.
The development adds another layer to a dispute that has already resulted in Burke being removed from Parliament’s finance-related committees and losing his position as the DA’s finance spokesperson while the Reserve Bank inquiry continues.
MK Party Andile Mngxitama opens criminal case
The MK Party Andile Mngxitama opens criminal case against DA MP Mark Burke development comes as political parties increase pressure for accountability over the allegations surrounding Kastelo.
Mngxitama reportedly submitted a sworn statement when opening the case, with the allegations linked to transactions involving Kastelo and South Africa’s capital and exchange-control framework. Reports indicate that the case relates to matters raised during the Reserve Bank’s investigation into the fintech company.
The Reserve Bank investigation has attracted significant attention because of allegations involving approximately R4 billion in transactions. According to reporting on the matter, the central bank has raised concerns about the movement of funds offshore and the use of clients’ foreign investment and single discretionary allowances.
It is important to stress that allegations under investigation do not amount to a criminal conviction. Any criminal case opened by a political party or individual still has to be investigated by the appropriate law-enforcement authorities and tested through the legal process.
Andile Mngxitama calls for scrutiny
Andile Mngxitama’s involvement places the MK Party directly into a growing political debate about the allegations involving Mark Burke and Kastelo.
The MK Party has argued that the allegations deserve proper investigation and accountability. The criminal complaint is therefore likely to increase political scrutiny of both Burke and the DA as authorities consider the issues raised around Kastelo.
The development also comes after the DA itself took steps to remove Burke from Parliament’s finance committee and finance cluster while the Reserve Bank investigation is ongoing. The party said the decision was made to avoid potential conflicts of interest and to protect the integrity of parliamentary oversight.
Mark Burke and the Kastelo allegations
Mark Burke has strongly pushed back against suggestions that he personally committed wrongdoing.
Burke has clarified that he is no longer the chairperson of Kastelo Proprietary Limited and said he has no involvement in the company’s daily operations. He previously chaired the broader Kastelo Group but said he left that position in February 2026. He also said he resigned from Kastelo in 2024 to pursue his political career.
Burke has further argued that the High Court judgment involving Kastelo did not find him personally guilty of wrongdoing. He has said that he respects the Reserve Bank investigation and wants the facts to be reported accurately.
The distinction is significant because the investigation into a company does not automatically establish criminal liability against an individual associated with that company.
What is Kastelo accused of?
Kastelo, the fintech company associated with Mark Burke, has come under investigation by the South African Reserve Bank over alleged breaches of exchange-control regulations.
Reporting based on the Reserve Bank’s court affidavit indicates that the central bank believes there are grounds to investigate whether client allowances were used to move money offshore and whether transactions were conducted without clients’ full knowledge or participation. The allegations also include concerns about how Kastelo represented its activities in compliance declarations.
The Reserve Bank has also taken steps involving Kastelo’s funds, while the broader investigation remains underway. Business Day reported that Kastelo had moved approximately R4 billion offshore and that the Reserve Bank had frozen funds connected to the company.
Kastelo and Burke have disputed wrongdoing, meaning the allegations remain subject to the ongoing legal and regulatory processes.
DA accountability becomes a major issue
The controversy has also raised questions about DA accountability, particularly because Mark Burke held a senior financial position within the party while the allegations surrounding a company with which he had previously been associated were being examined.
The DA has defended the principle of due process and said Burke should not be treated as guilty before a competent authority makes a formal finding. The party nevertheless removed him from finance-related parliamentary responsibilities while the investigation continues.
The decision has become part of a wider political argument over whether political parties should take precautionary action when senior representatives face allegations involving matters connected to their previous business interests.
For opposition parties, the issue has created an opportunity to question the DA’s commitment to transparency and accountability. For the DA, however, the central argument remains that allegations must be distinguished from proven wrongdoing.
Political pressure grows around Mark Burke
The MK Party is not the only political organisation to demand greater scrutiny of Mark Burke.
The ANC has also opened a criminal case against Burke and Kastelo in connection with the allegations. ANC parliamentary caucus chief whip Mdumiseni Ntuli reportedly opened the case at Cape Town Central Police Station, arguing that the issues raised in the court proceedings warranted a criminal investigation.
The ANC had previously called for Burke to be removed from parliamentary finance-related responsibilities, while other opposition parties have also questioned whether he should continue exercising oversight over financial matters while the investigation remains unresolved.
This means the pressure on the DA is now coming from several political directions, with the Kastelo investigation becoming a significant political issue.
What happens next?
The opening of a criminal case does not itself mean that Mark Burke has been found guilty of a crime. The next stage will depend on investigations by the relevant law-enforcement authorities and any decisions taken by prosecutors.
The South African Reserve Bank investigation into Kastelo is also continuing. Its findings could play an important role in determining whether further legal action is warranted.
For Andile Mngxitama and the MK Party, the criminal complaint represents a demand for greater scrutiny and accountability. For Mark Burke, the focus remains on establishing the facts and allowing the relevant authorities to complete their processes.
The DA has similarly maintained that due process must be respected and that any action should be based on verified legal findings rather than political assumptions.
Why the case matters
The MK Party Andile Mngxitama opens criminal case against DA MP Mark Burke development is significant because it brings together political accountability, financial regulation and South Africa’s exchange-control framework.
The controversy surrounding Kastelo has already affected Burke’s parliamentary responsibilities and generated calls for investigations from multiple political parties.
As the Reserve Bank inquiry and any criminal investigations progress, the key issue will be whether the allegations can be substantiated through evidence and due legal process.
For now, Mark Burke has denied personal wrongdoing, while the authorities continue examining the circumstances surrounding Kastelo and the transactions at the centre of the controversy.
YOU MAY LIKE:
Conclusion
The MK Party, through Andile Mngxitama, has added further legal and political pressure on Mark Burke by opening a criminal case linked to allegations surrounding Kastelo.
The development comes after the DA removed Burke from finance-related parliamentary responsibilities during the Reserve Bank investigation. While opposition parties are demanding greater DA accountability, Burke maintains that he is no longer involved in Kastelo’s daily operations and denies personal wrongdoing.
The investigation remains ongoing, and the allegations have yet to be conclusively established in court. The coming weeks and months will therefore be important in determining whether the allegations result in further legal action or are ultimately dismissed.
References from maainstream media
- eNCA – Read the eNCA report
- IOL – Read the IOL report
- Business Day – Read the Business Day report
- Business Day – Read the Business Day report
Support Independent Journalism with eKayNews! 📰✨
At eKayNews, we are dedicated to bringing you honest, independent, and reliable news. But we can’t do it alone—independent journalism relies on the strength and generosity of its community.
If you value our work, please consider supporting us today! You can help keep us going by choosing a subscription or simply buying us a one-off virtual coffee:
👉 Support us here: ekaynews.co.za/subscribe-form/
You can also support our mission by visiting our main site at www.ekaynews.co.za and following @eKayNews on all social media platforms.
Thank you so much for your incredible generosity and for being part of our journey! 🙏💙


